Live chat

Rainwater Tanks & Grey Water Reuse

Rainwater Tank Approvals

Do you need a Planning Permit?

No specific Planning Permit or approval is required for rainwater tanks when installed to residential properties except for areas covered by the Heritage Overlay, or in some instances, in the Significant Landscape Overlay - Schedule 1 and 3. However, a permit or approval may also be required where a rainwater tank is to be installed within a multi-unit development or where an existing planning permit requires approval for additional building works and each case needs to be assessed separately.

Whilst there are no specific planning restrictions governing the installation of residential rainwater tanks, it is advisable to check your Title, Contract of Sale, and Council's Statutory Planning Team for any restrictions that may apply, e.g. to lots under 300m² in area, or to sites located in a Heritage Overlay or other Overlay area.

If in doubt, please contact Council on 1300 88 22 33.

Further information on Maroondah's Planning Scheme is also available at the Department of Planning and Community Development website.

Do you need a Building Permit?

A rainwater tank is not classifiable in accordance with the Building Code of Australia 2006, consequently no building permit is required. However, a rainwater tank is required to have the overflow connected to the stormwater drainage system by a licensed plumber. If constructed on a stand, you should ensure that the stand is structurally sound.

Construction over an Easement

Approval may be required to construct a rainwater tank over an easement. You are advised to contact Council's Engineering Services on telephone 9298 4292 prior to placing a rainwater tank over an easement.

Grey Water

Grey water consists of non-toilet wastewater including wastewater from showers, baths, spas, hand basins, washing machines, laundry troughs, dishwashers and kitchen sinks. "Black water" is toilet water that is contaminated with faeces and urine.

A significant amount of wastewater is generated by households that can be redirected to the garden for watering. However, grey water should not be used to water vegetable gardens. "Black water" should never be reused, nor should water from kitchen sinks and dishwashers, or water used to wash soiled nappies.

If installing a system to collect, store and treat grey water then a septic tank permit is required from Council and the system must meet Environment Protection Authority Guidelines.

If using grey water through a diversion system that does not store and treat the water then no permit is required, however, all works must be carried out by a licensed plumber. It is important to ensure that grey water is used correctly and is wholly contained on the property. The owner or occupiers of a property may expose themselves to legal liability if a public health hazard, nuisance or environmental hazard is created.

Additional information on reuse options for grey water available from the EPA website, or contact Council's Public Health Team on 9294 5603.

This information is provided for information purposes only. Maroondah City Council does not accept any liability to anyone who may rely on this information. Please check all information provided before relying upon it and if necessary obtain your own independent or professional advice.

Government Rebates

Rebates are available from the State Government for rainwater tanks and greywater systems. See the Victorian Government's Our Water Our Future web site.

Main Navigation