Live chat

Road and footpath closure permits

Builders and contractors planning to undertake works on Council-owned roads, footpaths or naturestrips are required to have a road and/or footpath closure permit before works commence.

Works may include:

  • road openings
  • vehicle crossings 
  • service connections
  • landscaping works.

Under the provisions of the Road Management Act, builders/contractors will be responsible for the safety of motorists and pedestrians during the works, as well as during any reinstatement works.

What you will need

You will need the following when applying for a road or footpath closure permit:

  • current Public Liability Insurance – Certificate of Cover
  • a Traffic Management Plan (incorporating a job site risk assessment)
  • a Memorandum of Authorisation (MOA) if conducting works on an Arterial Road
  • written notification to affected businesses/residents/public transport providers if applicable 
  • notification to Emergency Services of possible detours or expected significant delays.

Applying for a permit

Applications will be assessed within 10 working days of submission of the application.

You will need to enter the details of the street, your details, and then specific information for the application.

Apply for a road and footpath closure permit

Applying regularly? Log in or register online.

  • Apply and pay in writing or at our Service Centres

 Road and/or footpath closure permit application form (PDF 139kb)   (Doc 147kb)

You can also call 1300 88 22 33 or 9298 4598 to have an application form mail to you.

Fees and payment

A $71 application fee is required with all applications.

Applications fees must be paid when applying or the application cannot be accepted.

Main Navigation