Live chat

Owner Builders

Owner Builders must obtain a Certificate of Consent from the Building Practitioners Board in order to obtain a building permit to carry out domestic building work valued over $12,000.

  • A Certificate of Consent is an individual's written approval to act as an Owner Builder on their own land in Victoria.
  • An Owner Builder is defined as a person who constructs or renovates a domestic building on his or her own land, who is not in the business of building.

Owners who intend to apply for a building permit for domestic building work as an Owner Builder must provide to their Relevant Building Surveyor a Certificate of Consent issued by the Building Practitioners Board.  The Building Permit cannot be issued until the Certificate of Consent has been lodged with the Relevant Building Surveyor.

Owner Builders are restricted to obtaining building permits for a single dwelling and associated work on a single property, in any three-year period.

The Victorian Building Authority and Consumer Affairs provide more detailed information about being an Owner Builders and general advice about building and renovating.

More information

For further information, please contact Maroondah City Council Building Services
on 9298 4327

Main Navigation