Live chat

Food Premises

New Food Premises

Any business involved in the sale or preparation of food, must register its premises with the local Council of where the business is located.

A Council Environmental Health Officer will be required to complete a registration inspection prior to permission being granted to trade.

The assessing officer may request plans of the premises which identify all services, fitting, finishes and work flow to be provided to Council prior or at the registration inspection. These plans allow the assessing officer to make an informed decision on whether the premises meets requirements outlined in the Food Safety Standards.

The proprietor of a food business may request premises plans be assessed by Council for a fee, in accordance with the Food Safety Standards.

Once the plans are assessed and approved, the proprietor can fit out the food business knowing they are meeting all requirements and therefore preventing structural changes being requested at registration inspection. A progress inspection may be requested during fit out, to ensure that work is being completed in accordance with plans and standards.

A food business that satisfactorily meets requirements at the registration inspection will be given permission to trade following the lodgement of application to register. This application must be submitted with the applicable fee and a current food safety supervisor training certificate for all Class 1 and 2 premises.

Pay online

You can pay online for Health Act or Food Act registered premises.

When paying online, please remember to return your completed application form.

Pay online for health act or food act registration

Transfer of Registration

When taking over an existing food business a food proprietor is required to request a transfer of registration application.

This must be completed by both the current and proposed proprietor and submitted with the applicable transfer fee and food safety supervisor certificate.

Council can upon request, and for a fee, complete an inspection of the premises. With the consent of the current proprietor, a report detailing the premises’ current compliance with Food Safety Standards can be provided.

Classification of Premises

 Class  1

Premises that predominately handle food for vulnerable people such as the elderly, the sick and young children.

 Class 2

Premises that handle unpackaged potentially hazardous foods which need correct temperature control during the food handling process, including cooking and storage to keep them safe.

 Class 3

Premises whose main activities involve the sale of foods not commonly associated with food poisoning. This includes the supply or handling of unpackaged low risk foods, or sale of pre-packaged potentially hazardous foods which simply need refrigeration to keep them safe.

 Class 4

 Premises selling low risk pre-packaged foods

Please note Class 4 premises are not required to register with Council, however a notification form must be completed and lodged.

Food Safety Programs

The Food Act 1984 requires all Class 1 and 2 food businesses to maintain a food safety program which describes the steps required to ensure food sold is safe to eat.

Businesses may use a standard government registered program or use a non-registered independent program. If a non-registered program is used it must be audited within the first three months of registration with subsequent audits to be completed at intervals of not more than 12 months.

Further information

Food safety program template - class 2 (PDF, 7.2 Mb)
This template can be used if you operate retail or food service activities from a variety of sites.



Food safety program template - records
The purpose of this resource is to assist food business owners to keep the records that will become part of their food safety programs.



Food Businesses - class 3
This guide will help you understand your legal responsibilities under the Food Act 1984 and  the steps to follow to ensure food safety.




Community groups - class 3
Community groups have important legal obligations to ensure the safety of any food they sell and this guide will help your group understand their 



Community group temporary and mobile food premises template
This template can only be used to create a food safety program if a community group is selling the food; the group is operating a temporary food premises or a mobile food premises; and Council has advised that the premises falls within class 2.


For further information regarding the sale of food please contact Council’s Community Health Services on 1300 88 22 33 or visit Councils Croydon Service Centre.

A Food Proprietor Information Kit that outlines your requirements in more detail can be provided on request. 

Main Navigation