Live chat

Accommodation Premises

Business Registration

Hotels, Motels, Bed and Breakfast establishments, Boarding Houses, Holiday Camps, Hostels, and student dormitories are all premises that must be registered with Council's Community Health Services and must comply with the Health (Prescribed Accommodation) Regulations.

The objectives of the regulations are to:

  • prevent overcrowding
  • ensure a reasonable standard of hygiene, sanitation and safety
  • minimise the risk of spreading communicable diseases
  • ensure the preparation of food is achieved in a hygienic and safe manner.

To become registered, the proposed proprietor must submit a floor plan of the premises to Council's Community Health Services. Before commencing trading, the premises must pass an inspection by Council's Environmental Health Officer (EHO) and the proprietor must complete an Application to Register which is to be lodged with the Application and Inspection fees. The application form is usually provided to the proposed proprietor by the EHO once the inspection of readiness to commence trading has been completed.

EHOs regularly inspect these types of premises throughout the year to ensure compliance with the regulations.

Please note: Boarding House must be registered if 6 or more people are to be accommodated.

For further details visit Council's Community Health Services at Civic Square, Croydon or telephone us on 1300 88 22 33.

Main Navigation